Cape Gazette

The Rain Bowl: DSU falls to Hampton 20-14

By Ryan Mavity | Oct 01, 2010
In conditions more suited to an Indian monsoon than Kent County, the Delaware State Hornets fell to the Hampton Pirates, 20-14, in front of ESPN cameras and some truly brave souls in attendance.

The Hornets fell to 0-4 on the season, in a game they will be kicking themselves over when they watch the game film. Delaware State blew numerous scoring opportunities against a Hampton team (3-1) that came in ranked 10th amongst historically black colleges and universities.

The Hornets’ opening possession served as a harbinger of things to come. Travis Tarpley returned the opening kickoff 78 yards to the Pirates’ 18-yard line. After stalling at Hampton’s 3-yard-line, the Hornets attempted a field goal, which was blocked. The Hornets got a reprieve thanks to an offsides penalty against the Pirates. With the ball at Hampton’s 2-yard-line, Coach Al Lavan attempted to go for a touchdown, but a quarterback sneak by Anthony Glaud was stuffed and the Hornets turned the ball over on downs.

Another promising first quarter drive ended in Hampton’s red zone when the Pirates recovered running back Jaashawn Jones’ fumble. Three first-half trips to Hampton’s red zone resulted in zero points.

Special teams were a huge problem for the Hornets all night. With no confidence in his kicking game, Lavan was forced to go for it often. The Hornets had one punt blocked and another partially blocked.

For its part, the Delaware State defense hung tough, particularly in the first half, holding Hampton quarterback David Legree to one completion and the Pirate offense to only 84 total yards. The Pirates didn’t help their own cause by committing 14 penalties over the course of the game.

In the second half, the Hornets defense began to tire, partially because they played Coastal Carolina in South Carolina only five days earlier, and Hampton’s freshman running back, Antwon Chisholm, began to take over. His 32-yard run set up the first touchdown of the game, a one-yard sneak by Legree. The extra point was blocked.

The Hornets answered back with some razzle-dazzle. Glaud threw a pass behind the line to Darius Jackson, who threw to a wide-open Justin Wilson to put the Hornets ahead 7-6.

But Hampton answered right back, with Legree – a transfer from Syracuse – hitting Javaris Brown for a 37-yard touchdown strike. The Pirates went for two and were successful, going up 14-7.

On the next Pirates possession, Chisholm ripped off two big runs – a 15-yard dash and then a 57-yard touchdown run to put Hampton up 20-7. Chisholm finished with 157 yards on 15 carries.

The Hornets offense struggled from there, with Glaud, in particular, having a tough game, completing only 14 of 42 passes for just 116 yards. To add insult to injury, Glaud twisted his leg late in the game, although Lavan later said he would be OK. Backup Nick Elko came on and finished the scoring with 24 seconds left with a touchdown pass to Donnell Dixon.

“It’s always disappointing to be close. Three out of the four games we’ve played this year, we’ve had an opportunity to win the football game. We’ve got to be able to play through those kinds of situations with some consistency, and we just haven’t been able to do it,” Lavan said. “For the most part, we were able to run and throw, even with the elements. We simply did not make enough plays consistently.”
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.

The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.