Cape Gazette

Cape boys' lax survives and moves on to play Sallies in championship

By Dave Frederick | May 29, 2014
Photo by: Dan Cook Cape junior middie Kyle Orton shoots and scores in the Vikings' victory over the Spartans.

The Cape’s boys' lacrosse team survived Saint Mark’s 8-6 in a nippy and chippie “let the boys play” semifinal game at Appoquinimink’s Jaguar Stadium Wednesday night and will move on to face Salesianum in the state championship game to be played at Caravel at 7 p.m., Saturday, May 31.

Coaches huddled afterward and simply told their players, ”Let's get off the field and into the locker room, then watch a little of the girls' game and get home and start thinking about Sallies,” which beat Caesar Rodney 14-4 in a game yet to be played.

“We won; I knew the Saint Mark’s team we beat by 11 goals earlier was not the same one we would see tonight,” coach Jack Lingo said.  “They are a tough team, and we didn’t play great, but the defense came up with stops when we needed them, and Hunter Daily got a big face-off that resulted in a goal which put us up by 2 and gave us a little cushion.”

Jeb Monigle scored off an assist from Luke Benson with 4:30 left in the game, and Grant Gillan zoned up and stopped two shots to preserve the victory.

Cape lost to Sallies 14-7 earlier in the season, and afterward Lingo said, "I don’t care about round one or round two with Sallies; I just want to beat them when they line up in front of us. They are obviously an awesome team, but we’re pretty good as well."

Todd Keen, a 6-foot-3 senior midfielder, led Cape with 3 goals. He will need to show up big if Cape is to upset Sallies in the championship game.



Cape senior midfielder Todd Keen goes to the goal in the Vikings' 8-6 win over Saint Mark's. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape attack Michael Hopkins shoots around Spartans defender Nicholas Papa. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape senior defender Thomas Ott plays tough defense on Saint Mark's middie Vincent Nigro but unfortunately was called for a hold. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape attack Blake Mann takes on Saint Mark's defender Matthew DePietro. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape attack Luke Benson finds the open man. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape middie Jeb Monigle dodges Spartans midfielder Dalton Ziemba. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape's Blake Mann, right, celebrates Jeb Monigle's goal. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Luke Benson finds Blake Mann on the crease. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Goalie Grant Gillan clears the ball after making a save in the fourth quarter. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape senior defender Aaron Mattioni clears the ball from the Saint Mark's offensive end. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape middie Todd Keen cranks the rock and scores. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Thomas Ott fights for a face-off with Saint Mark's Michael Adams. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape attack Luke Benson dodges around the crease. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Vikings midfielder Christian Prestipino hits an open player. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Blake Mann cranks the rock. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Kyle Orton goes after a ground ball. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Goalie Grant Gillan looks for an open clear. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Kyle Orton gets a call after being pushed from behind. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Luke Benson wonders where the call is after being hit under the helmet. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Cape's Michael Hopkins takes exception after a double foul by Spartans defender Michael Adams with five seconds left in the game. (Photo by: Dan Cook)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.

The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.