Cape Water Taxi to host grand opening celebration May 25-27
Tired of the traffic running from Lewes to Dewey during the summer months? Cape Water Taxi has the solution - it’s a water taxi linking Lewes and Dewey Beach.
A trip down the canal starts from docks in Lewes at Fishermans Wharf
and/or in Dewey at Ruddertowne at the south end of Rehoboth Bay Marina on Collins Street.
Cape Water Taxi will host a grand opening celebration Friday through Sunday, May 25-27 aboard “The Mummichog.” A portion of the proceeds from opening weekend will go to Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Delaware.
All sunset cruises need reservations at 800-645-0441. Otherwise, all
trips are first come, first serve.
The schedule for the grand opening:
• Friday - Departs from Lewes at 5:30 p.m. and arrives in Dewey at 6:45 p.m. Sunset Cruise departing from Dewey 6:45 p.m., arrives Lewes, 8:45 p.m.; departs from Dewey at 9 p.m. and arrives in Lewes at 10:15 p.m.
• Saturday and Sunday - Departs from Lewes at the following times: 10:15 a.m., 1:15, 4:15 and 7:15 p.m.; departs from Dewey at 11:45 am., 2:45, 5:45 and Saturday only, 8:45 p.m.
Traffic on the waterways may mandate scheduled changes.
Tickets are sold at the dock, first come, first served. Adults are $15 round trip, $10 one way, and $25 Sunset Cruise or Eco Tour. Child prices are $10, round trip, $6 one way and $12 Sunset Cruise or Eco Trip.
Owner Dave Green said, “I was originally inspired to start a water taxi service while living in South Florida. Also, by my own experience, commuting across Rehoboth Bay to work weekends at Que Pasa the last four summers. The most exciting part of the ride is coming south out of Lewes where the 'no wake' zone ends and there is nothing but coastal wetlands and abundant wildlife, one of southern Delaware’s seldom seen treasures. My hope for the future of Cape Water Taxi is that the construction of the Rehoboth landing will become a reality, connecting Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach and eventually Long Neck. God willing, this would enable the service to operate seven days a week with multiple vessels, allowing it to become a more viable mode of transportation for locals and visitors alike.”
After the grand opening the schedule from May 25 thru Sept. 2 will be:
• Saturday only Sunset Cruise departing from Lewes 6:45 p.m., returning 8:45 p.m.
• Fridays - Departs from Lewes at 5:30 p.m., Arrives in Dewey at 6:45 p.m. Sunset Cruise departing from Dewey 6:45 p.m. returning 8:45 pm
Departs from Dewey at 9 p.m., arrives in Lewes at 10:15 p.m.
• Saturday and Sunday - Departures from Lewes, 10:15 a.m., 1:15 and 4:15 p.m. Departures from Dewey, 11:45 am., 2:45, 5:45 and Saturday only, 8:45 p.m
Tickets are $25 for adults, 11 and older, and $12 children 3-10 years, for charters, sunset cruises and ecotours. The water taxi is $15, adults and $10, children round trip, and $10 and $6, one way.
Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day Week Day and weekend
schedules may vary.
For more information and for exact times go to facebook.com/pages/Cape-Water-Taxi or call 800-645-0441. All cruises require a minimum of 10 passengers.