Captain Thom's Bacon Jam
By PEPPERS | Feb 20, 2014
- 2 pounds bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup bacon drippings
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into very thin slivers
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup Captain Thom’s Slappin’ Fat Bacon Ketchup (Click to BUY)
- Cook and stir bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until bacon starts to brown, about 10 minutes; drain grease, retaining 1/4 of the drippings. Stir onions into bacon and drippings; cook and stir until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar; cook until onions are sticky and browned, about 5 more minutes. Mix in garlic, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook and stir until garlic is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in bourbon whiskey, coffee, sherry vinegar, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook until the bacon jam is thickened but not completely dry, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, about 35 minutes. Mix in Captain Thom’s Slappin’ Fat Bacon Ketchup (Click to BUY) and cook 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, let the bacon jam cool, and pulse in a food processor to a slightly chunky, spreadable consistency. Bacon jam will store in the refrigerator, covered, up to 2 weeks.
Check out all of our great sauces and spices at http://peppers.com/