Don't let another child go hungry in Sussex County.
By The Harry K Foundation | Nov 19, 2013
ACCORDING TO THE FOOD BANK OF DELAWARE:
- About 17,500 different people receive emergency food assistance in any given week
- 44% of the members of households served by The Food Bank of Delaware are children under 18 years old
- 6% of the members of households are children age 0 to 5 years
- 6% of the members of households are elderly
- About 19% of clients are non-Hispanic white, 71% are non-Hispanic black, 4% are Hispanic, and the rest are from other racial groups
- 43% of households include at least one employed adult
- 72% have incomes below the federal poverty level during the previous month
- 15% are homeless
- Among all client households served by emergency food programs of The Food Bank of Delaware, 72% are food insecure, according to the U.S. government’s official food security scale. This includes client households who have low food security and those who have very low food security
- 32% of the clients have very low food security
- Among households with children, 68% are food insecure and 30% are food insecure with very low food security
- 33% of clients served by The Food Bank of Delaware report having to choose between paying for food and paying for utilities or heating fuel
- 21% had to choose between paying for food and paying their rent or mortgage
- 32% had to choose between paying for food and paying for medicine or medical care
- 22% had to choose between paying for food and paying for transportation
- 19% had to choose between paying for food and paying for gas for a car
- The Harry K foundation, established by Harry Keswani, has vowed to raise money and donate 100% of these proceeds to help alleviate to problem of food insecurity in its local community. The H4 Initiative has pledged to support the Delaware Food Bank in supporting children’s nutritional programming within Sussex County. Join us on December 14th at the Rehoboth Beach Club for the inaugural Harry K Foundation Christmas Ball as we raise money with the sole purpose of providing nutritional assistance to children in the community.
- To learn more, click here.