Civil Air Patrol visits Rehoboth Museum
Historians and members of the Civil Air Patrol gathered Oct. 6 at the Rehoboth Beach Museum to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the establishment of Coastal Patrol Base 2.
The museum’s current exhibit, World War II: Rehoboth, features a case of historical items relating to the CAP at Rehoboth’s airport. The airport was located west of Airport Road behind The Marketplace shopping center and was the home of Coastal Patrol Base 2, established in 1942. The patrols flew over the Atlantic Ocean searching for German U-boats. At first the CAP just carried out patrols, but eventually the planes started carrying bombs. The Coastal Patrol Base was credited with being a deterrent to the German U-boats.
Shown checking the photograph taken of the CAP exhibit are (l-r) Capt. Mark Rudo, Maj. William Phordt and Capt. Kay Rudo. Kay Rudo is the commander of the CAP Sussex Composite Squadron and, in memory of the service of Coastal Patrol Base 2, the squadron was recently renamed the Coastal Patrol Base 2 Composite Squadron.