Dagsboro Volunteer Fire Department holds groundbreaking for new fire house
The Dagsboro Volunteer Fire Department hosted a groundbreaking ceremony Nov. 10 for the new fire house. This historic milestone is the capstone of many years of hard work and sacrifice in order to reach this objective.
The Dagsboro Volunteer Fire Company was established in 1943, operating two engine companies out of a two bay, two-story brick fire house on Clayton Avenue just west of Main Street. The original fire house still stands but has been renovated for use by the Bethel United Methodist Church.
Prior to the establishment of the fire company, emergencies were handled by the Frankford or Millsboro volunteer fire companies.
This ceremony was attended by many dignitaries and neighboring company representatives: Sen. George H. Bunting Jr., D-Bethany Beach; Rep. John C. Atkins, D-Millsboro; David Roberts, chairman, Delaware State Fire Prevention Commission; Robert Ricker, commissioner, Delaware State Fire Prevention Commission; William F. Tobin Jr., past commissioner, Delaware State Fire Prevention Commission and past president, Delaware Volunteer Firefighters Association; Councilman Vance Phillips, Sussex County Council; and Robert Hudson, chaplain, Delaware Volunteer Firefighters Association.