Cape Gazette

DAR Maull House open for Lewes Holiday Tour Dec. 7

Dec 03, 2013
Source: Submitted Members of the Colonel David Hall Chapter NSDAR (l-r) DiAnne Gatts, Nancy Barlow, Trip Wilkinson, Jane Patchell, Audrey Simpson, Denise Clemons, Emmalane Ewing, Frankie Marino and Gloria Lester are dressed to welcome visitors to the Maull House for the Lewes Holiday Tour.

The Col. David Hall Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution will host tours at the historic Maull House during the Lewes Holiday Tour from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 7. Guests are invited to shop the festive bake sale and enjoy complimentary cookies and hot cider.

Located at 536 Pilottown Road, the house was built in 1730 and is one of the few structures of this vintage that remains standing in its original location. The house belonged to the Maull family through several generations. Here is where hospitality was offered to Jerome Bonaparte and his wife Betsy Patterson when they were shipwrecked off the coast of Lewes in 1803.

Purchased by the DAR in 1962, the structure underwent extensive renovations before the chapter furnished the house with objects dating from the Colonial through the Victorian eras. The NSDAR is a service organization for women who are descended from a patriot who served in the American Revolution.


Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.