Del Tech Owens announces May personal enrichment classes
Delaware Technical Community College’s Owens Campus is offering several new personal enrichment classes in May, as well as classes that are held on a regular basis. From learning how to become a better photographer to promoting health to classes for Adult Plus+ members, there should be a class to help everyone learn something new this month.
• Advanced Defensive Driving - Takes place from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.,, Tuesday, May 1. Earn 15 percent discount on your liability insurance. Three-year certification course offers additional strategies for on-the-road safety. Completion of basic defensive driving is a prerequisite. Cost is $30.
• Basic Photography - Takes place from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Wednesdays beginning May 2 and ending May 23. Learn the importance of exposure and composition. Have fun with hands-on instruction while learning techniques that make the difference. Cost is $99.
• Greeting Card Creation Workshop 4 - Takes place from 6 to 8 p.m., Monday, May 7. Learn how to make window and peek-a-boo cards, create beautiful backgrounds and learn the magic of marbling. Cost is $25.
• Tai Chi Level I - Takes place from 6 to 7 p.m., Tuesdays beginning May 8 and ending June 12. This exercise combines the use of the mind, body and spirit into graceful and slow movements. The yang short form will be used. Cost is $49.
• Tai Chi Level II - Takes place from 7 to 8 p.m., Tuesdays beginning May 8 and ending June 12. This is a continuation of Tai Chi Level 1. Two sessions of Level 1 is a pre-requisite. Cost is $49.
• Divorcing Parent Education Program – Parents must take an approved course teaching them about what children go through when parents do not live with each other or divorce. Course satisfies Delaware’s legal requirement for parent education and is certified by the Department of Services for Children, Youth and Their Families. One session will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, May 12. Another session will be held from 6 to 9 p.m., Tuesday, May 22 and Thursday, May 24. Cost is $85.
• Financial Issues of Divorce - Takes place from 6 to 8 p.m., Tuesday, May 15, and Thursday, May 17. This is a helpful overview of strictly financial aspects of preparing for and surviving divorce. Understand marital property and exclusions, definitions and terms. Learn how to minimize loss and create realistic expectations. Cost is $19.
• Firearms: Tactical Safety - Takes place from 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday May 12 and May 19. Use of live ammunition and target shooting at the instructor’s firing range. Skill of shooting multiple targets, fast and accurately the first time will be taught. Advanced Firearms Training course is a prerequisite. Cost is $75.
• Scrapbooking A-Z - Takes place from 6 to 8 p.m., Mondays beginning May 14 and ending June 4. Build a story through pictures, printed paper and embossed card stock. Combine prints and patterns for great backgrounds. Cost is $59.
• Beginner Horseback Riding - Takes place from 6 to 7 p.m., Wednesdays beginning May 16 and ending June 6. Open to anyone age 15 and up. Learn the basics of safety, stable management and equestrian skills. Horse and take equipment is furnished. Held at Singletree Stables in Seaford. Cost is $59.
• Relief from Back Pain - Takes place from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 22 and May 29. Add special exercises to your routine for improved back health and pain relief. Learn spinal decompression movements for bulging discs and the benefits of massage therapy. Cost is $25.
Adult Plus+ Classes
• Fashion Show and Luncheon - Takes place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursday, May 17. Enjoy a great afternoon with a delicious luncheon and the latest fashions. Cost is $29.
• Beginning Horseback Riding - Have fun and learn the basics of safety, stable management and equestrian skills. Horse and tack equipment is furnished. Held at Singletree Stables in Seaford. Cost is $55.
• Portrait Workshop - Takes place from 1 to 4 p.m. on Thursdays beginning May 24 and ending June 28. Features enjoyable and information instruction with individual assistance, and is open for beginning to intermediate artists. Cost is $55.
For more information, or to register, call Corporate and Community Programs at 302-856-5618.