Delaware Joint Information Center issues updates on Sandy
Total Power Outages Statewide as of 7 a.m. – 40,853
Delmarva Power – 39,469
Del Co-op – 1,384
Power outage totals through the night
5 a.m., Oct. 30 - 42,257
3 a.m., Oct. 30 - 45,637
1 a.m., Oct. 30 - 39,781
11 p.m., Oct. 29 - 34,204
9 p.m., Oct. 29 - 34,773 at 9 p.m.
7 p.m., Oct. 29 - 38,206
Delaware Helpline at 1-800-464-HELP
5,365 total calls
So far today (Oct. 30): 965
Monday (Oct. 28): 2706
Sunday (Oct. 29): 1694
Inquiries: State of Emergency, shelters, road conditions, bridges, weather info
Shelter population (as of midnight Oct. 29) – 883
William Penn - 128
Middletown - 26
Smyrna - 62
Dover - 65
Milford - 90
Cape - 164
IR - 348
Effective as of 8:30 a.m., Gov. Markell lifted the Level 2 Driving Restriction and instituted a Level 1 Driving Warning throughout the state. Highway crews, troopers and other emergency officials began inspections of road conditions in early morning hours and will continue those efforts throughout the day. Because of heavy flooding and other damage, the previously-designated Evacuation Areas are still in effect and should not be entered at this time.
Bridge closings (Roth, Indian River and Delaware Memorial):
• Indian River Bridge is closed. DelDOT has established a detour route and posted signage.
• Reedy Point Bridge is closed.
• Route 13 SB on Market Street Bridge is closed.
Major road closings (Routes 1; 13 and I-95)
• Route 1 between Dewey Beach and Fenwick Island is closed due to flooding and debris on the roadway
New Castle County
• Route 299 is closed at Old State Road due to high water on the road
• Route 299 at Old Corbitt Road is closed due to high water
• Route 9 between Twin Willow Bridge and Bayview Road due to flooding
• St. James Street between Ayre Street and Old Airport Road due to high water
• South Walnut Street in Wilmington north of Heald Street closed due to high water
• Philadelphia Pike between Shipley and Lea closed
• Governor Lea closed
Salem Church Road closed
Stanton Christiana Road at Stanton overpass closed
Old Airport Road closed.
Route 9 in Port Penn and north of Odessa closed.
• Fork Landing Road closed between Rothernel Road and Tub Mill Road due to flooding
• Fork Landing Road closed between Roternel Road and Carpenter Bridge Road
• Williamsville Road closed between Abbotts Pond Road and Blairs Pond Road due to flooding
• Tub Mill Pond Road between Route 1 and Old Cemetery Road due to flooding
• Frederica Road between Route 1 and Davis Street closed due to flooding
• Cypress Branch Road near Ponderosa Road closed due to flooding
• As of 7:49 p.m. Monday, Arthursville Road is closed between Shorts Corner Road and Route 300 due to a tree across the road
• Bennetts Pier Road
• Big Stone Beach Road is impassable
• Route 9 north of South Little Creek Road is impassable
• Route 42 west of the Leipsic Bridge
• Market Street in Frederica is closed
• Front Street in Leipsic is closed
• Old State Road between Odessa and Old Corbitt Road closed to flooding
• Old Mill Road off Atlantic Avenue in Millville
• West Line Road west of Chicken Farm Road in Selbyville
• Route 16 east of Graves Farm Road in Milton underwater
• Slaughter Beach east of Wells Road in Lincoln
• Union Street, Broad Street, Front Street, Collins Street and Magnolia Street in Milton are all closed
• West State Street at North Delaware Avenue in Millsboro closed due to a tree down in wires
• Old Stage Road
DART bus service
All DART First State are suspended. No services are planned for Tuesday until a full assessment is made after the storm to assure safe conditions.
DART will continue to provide essential health-related paratransit trips.
Federal disaster area
On Monday, October 28, 2012, President Obama declared Delaware an Emergency Federal Disaster Area, providing direct federal assistance to agencies for disaster relief.
Emergency contact numbers and websites
Sussex EOC: 856-7366
Kent EOC: 753-3465
NCCo EOC: 395-5555
Wilmington EOC: 576-CITY
School closings for Tuesday
Public schools announced closings for Tuesday: http://schoolclosings.delaware.gov
State office closings
State of Delaware offices are closed until 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. Non-essential employees are not to report to work for this period. Essential employees are to report as scheduled.
State of emergency
The State of emergency was modified effective at 5 a.m. Monday, October 28, when Governor Jack Markell ordered statewide “Level Two” driving restrictions. Those restrictions were lifted at 8:30am on Tuesday, October 29, and a Level 1 Driving Warning was instituted statewide.
A sampling of rainfall totals from across the state:
Rehoboth Beach: 8.08 inches
Indian Acres (Sussex): 7.92
Bethany Beach: 4.55
Other points of interest
• Maryland’s Bay Bridge and Route 40 Bridge over the Susquehanna River at Havre de Grace remain closed until safe for travel and inspections, Maryland Department of Transportation reported at 2 a.m. Tuesday. Key Bridge reopened at 3 a.m. Tuesday
• In the Philadelphia area, several roads were closed until 4am: I-76, I-676, I-95, I-476, RT-1
• We could see sunshine by 3 p.m. Tuesday