Helene G. "Shaver" Hall Burton, former Harbeson resident
Helene G. "Shaver" Hall Burton, 92, Georgetown, Md., passed away of natural causes at her home, Thursday, Oct. 24, 2013, surrounded by her family. Helene was born in Fort Washington, Pa. and was the daughter of Harry Mitchell Grinnan and Marion Isabella Grinnan.
Helene was raised by her grandmother, Catherine V. Grinnan in Philadelphia, Pa. Helene graduated from West Catholic High School. Also, Helene graduated from Harcum Junior College, Bryn Mawr, Pa., majoring in fashion design in 1941. Helene married Ralph O. Hall Jr. Sept. 6, 1942, and they resided in Haverford, Pa. Ralph gave her the lifelong nickname "Shaver."
After Ralph's discharge from the U.S. Navy, having enlisted on Pearl Harbor Day and served during World War II in the Pacific Theatre, Helene and Ralph purchased the Kitty Knight House on the Sassafras River, in Georgetown, March 20, 1946. They operated the Kitty Knight House as a country inn and restaurant until 1955, when they sold the Kitty Knight House to focus on the adjoining marina and yacht repair business, which they founded in 1949, the Georgetown Yacht Basin Inc. They lived in Galena, Md. After 25 years of marriage, Ralph O. Hall Jr., former mayor of Galena, died September 24, 1967.
They had five children who survive her: Arnold Ford Hall Sr. and his wife June of Fredericktown, Md., Laurette Hall Sisk, recently widowed by Judge H. Thomas Sisk of Worton, Md., Susan C. Hall Miskell and her husband David of Charlotte, Vt., Samuel Perry Hall Sr. of Cecilton, Md. and Jesse Hall of Lewes.
Helene continued to be active in the day-to-day management of Georgetown Yacht Basin Inc. focusing primarily on the Harbor Shop, a part of the Company's Marine Store business, until her retirement in 1986. Further, Helene continued to serve as a member of the board of directors of Georgetown Yacht Basin Inc. until 1998.
On August 18, 1974, Helene married Louis Wyatt Burton of Georgetown, Sussex County. Mr. Burton is a former Delaware state representative and served in the 124th Assembly in 1967 and 1968, and the 125th Assembly in 1969 and 1970. They made their home for many years at Pinewater Farm on Herring Creek, a tributary of Rehoboth Bay in Harbeson. In 2005, they built a new home in Georgetown, Md., where Helene resided at the time of her death. Helene and Louis were married for 39 years.
Shaver was a parishioner of St. Dennis Roman Catholic Church. Shaver's love for animals led her to volunteer at the Humane Society of Kent County, Md., one of her most satisfying activities. Shaver was one of the founding members of the Galena Kindergarten School and was vice president of the Galena PTA during the late 1960s. As a resident of Georgetown in her later years, Shaver became a parishioner of St. Stephen Episcopal Church, Earleville, Md. Also, Helene was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Helene loved spending time with her five children; 14 grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren and all their families. Helene is survived by her husband of 39 years, Louis Wyatt Burton of Georgetown, Md.; half sisters Barbara Smith Boyd of Plano, Texas, and Nancy Smith Harrison of Berwyn, Pa.; and Louis's children, Michael L. Burton of Laurel and Theodora "Teddi" Tyler of Millsboro.
Funeral arrangements include a graveside funeral service at the Georgetown Cemetery, Georgetown, MD., Friday, Nov. 1, at 11 a.m., followed by a reception at the Kitty Knight House, Georgetown, Md.
In lieu of flowers, please consider a memorial donation in Helene's name to the Humane Society of Kent County, Maryland, P.O. Box 352, Chestertown, MD 21620, or St. Jude Children's Research Hospital online at www.stjude.org or by mail to 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105 or by calling 800-805-5856.
Arrangements by Galena Funeral Home Galena, Md.