In Like a Lion, Out With a Sale!
Even if we do have another Winter Weather Advisory (say it isn’t so!), spring starts officially on March 20. January and February hit Delaware Beaches repeatedly with snow and cold, but you know what they say about March – in like a lion, out like a lamb. We’re all ready for those ‘cozier’ days, including homebuyers, who are thawing along with the weather. At The Lee Ann Wilkinson Group, we are scheduling more buyer trips to show beach real estate in the coming weeks.
If you are trying to sell your home, now’s the time to take an objective look at your home - inside and out - and get ready for this warming real estate interest. Snow and wind have made ‘curb appeal’ – that first impression of a home’s exterior - even more difficult to achieve during this in-between time. So whether you are a seller (or even a prospective buyer), here are a few details to notice and consider. Most of these tips are inexpensive but pay off big.
- Clear up sticks in your yard
- Make sure paths to the front door are clear
- Clip back beach grass and shrubs – even leafless landscaping can look neat with a “fresh haircut”
- Rake over flower beds
- Power wash mildew on siding, fencing, outside showers, etc.
- Replace mailbox and house numbers if yours are oxidized or dated
- Consider replacing exterior storm doors if they are dated
- Put a few potted plants at your entrance (tulips and daffodils are back!)
- Make sure exterior lights are in good shape
Inside (in any season):
- Declutter! And when you think you are done, declutter again! Though it’s an expense, getting a storage unit to help you clear out extra belongings for a few months could pay off. Consult your Realtor to see if it may be worth it. (The Lee Ann Wilkinson Group provides free staging consultation!)
- Freshen paint, including baseboards and doorway trim
- Replace switch plates
- Clean carpets
- After the snow - tackle everyone’s favorite: windows!
Repurpose Your Spaces?
In addition to cleaning projects, you may want to consider your home’s layout and functionality. Many of today’s homebuyers are not locked into a traditional floorplan. If you have a ‘traditional’ home with a formal dining room, and you have other dining space in a kitchen or breakfast room, for example, consider transitioning that formal dining room to appeal to modern buyers. You can remove the dining table, chairs, buffet and chandelier – and stage the room with a desk, bookshelves, upholstered chairs, and a flush mounted light fixture, even a set of French doors, for a more useable home office space. It’s an inexpensive way to freshen your space, if you are in an area that attracts a more modern buyer or if you have had feedback from prior showings.
Spring is Coming!
Warm weather, blooming landscaping, and lush lawns definitely increase curb appeal, but you can get a jump on those early bird homebuyers this season by making your home stand out as fresh and neat.
If you are interested in selling your home, please feel free to contact The Lee Ann Wilkinson Group any day of the week at (302) 645-6664, or any time of day at LeeAnnGroup.com.