JGM Custom Painting partners with Col. David Hall Chapter NSDAR
JGM Custom Painting recently completed a restoration project at the historic Maull House for the Col. David Hall Chapter NSDAR. Located on its original site along the canal on Pilottown Road, the house was built in 1739. Sold to Delaware River Pilot Luke Shields, the house became home to the Maull family when Luke married his widowed neighbor, Mary Maull in 1753.
Although the property changed hands a few times after Luke’s death, it returned to Maull family ownership in 1836 when purchased by Thomas Maull, a descendant of Mary’s first husband, John. Subsequent generations of the family lived in the house until 1957, when it was sold to a developer and slated for demolition.
Through extensive fundraising efforts, the Col. David Hall Chapter changed the fate of the Maull House, purchasing it in 1962 to begin the long process of restoration. Their successful efforts led to the Maull House earning designation on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
The current project undertaken by JGM & Associates restored the wood trim and window frames, which had begun to deteriorate from the assaults of wind and weather. The team stripped the older layers of paint before caulking, sanding, and priming the wood. They recommended a more historically correct shade of blue to replace the faded and mismatched colors they found on the building.
The Col. David Hall Chapter members were delighted to have had such an experienced and professional partner for this important restoration project to preserve the Maull House.
The NSDAR is a service organization for women who have descended from a patriot who served in the American Revolution. The group is dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history, and securing America's future through education.