Library seeks volunteers for design of new facilityApplications due March 8
The Lewes Public Library is seeking volunteers to serve on its design committee to provide recommendations regarding the design and function of the interior and exterior of a 21st century library to serve the Lewes community.
The committee will work with the library’s board of commissioners, architect, staff and the community at large to assist in the design of a pleasing facility to meet the needs of the growing population of the library’s service area.
The committee will meet at least monthly through the completion of the building’s design to accomplish the following tasks:
• Review the library’s current strategic plan at http://bit.ly/VYYQjZ and needs assessment at http://bit.ly/Un5ZON and become familiar with community needs to be served by a larger facility. Committee members should also familiarize themselves with design principles of 21st century libraries, both functional and aesthetic. Roger Levien’s "Confronting the Future: Strategic Visions for the 21st Century Library" (http://bit.ly/Av4fae) is recommended reading regarding the flexibility of modern library design, as are the articles linked on the library website http://bit.ly/XSDoie.
• Become familiar with architectural styles common to the library’s environs. Solicit community opinion regarding the aesthetics of the new library.
• Become familiar with architectural styles that allow adaptability and expandability for library construction.
• Participate in the schematic design process, including involvement in committee meetings and public charrettes. Provide initial community input on ideas and drawings provided by the library’s architect.
• Provide input and insight into the library’s design to the library board.
• Review design development documents for the building, including providing comments on the more complete design documents to the library board.
• Keep the library board informed with a formal report at each monthly board meeting. Make all final design recommendations to the library board for their approval.
The committee will sunset upon completion of the building's design in approximately one year.
To apply, submit a cover letter stating interest and qualifications and a résumé to the Lewes Public Library, c/o Director Ed Goyda, 111 Adams Ave., Lewes, DE 19958 or email@example.com. Applications are due to the library by noon, Friday, March 8. Selections to the committee will be made by the library’s commissioners at their 8:30 a.m., Tuesday, March 12 meeting in the library’s small meeting room.