Cape Gazette
http://capegazette.villagesoup.com/p/1063019

Milton Fire Department reminds residents: Prevent kitchen fires

Stay in the kitchen when cooking
Oct 05, 2013

With Fire Prevention Week Oct. 6 to 12, the Milton Fire Department Inc. is joining forces with the nonprofit National Fire Protection Association to remind local residents: Prevent kitchen fires.  During this year's fire safety campaign, fire departments will be spreading the word about the dangers of kitchen fires - most of which result from unattended cooking - and teaching local residents how to prevent kitchen fires from starting in the first place.

According to the latest NFPA research, cooking is the leading cause of home fires. Two of every five home fires begin in the kitchen - more than any other place in the home. Cooking fires are also the leading cause of home fire-related injuries.

"Often when we're called to a fire that started in the kitchen, the residents tell us that they only left the kitchen for a few minutes," said Milton Fire Chief Gene Dvornick.  "Sadly, that's all it takes for a dangerous fire to start. We hope that Fire Prevention Week will help us reach folks in the community before they've suffered a damaging lesson."

Among the safety tips firefighters and safety advocates will be emphasizing are to stay in the kitchen when cooking; turn off the stove while not in the kitchen, even for a short time; check food regularly while cooking and use a timer; use the stove's back burners where possible when cooking around children; keep pets and children away from the stove; wear clothing with tight-fitting sleeves; keep potholders, towels, plastic bags, etc. safely away from the stove; and clean up food and grease from burners and stovetops.

Fire Prevention Week is actively supported by fire departments across the country. Fire Prevention Week is the longest-running public health and safety observance on record.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.