New members of the Delaware Maritime Hall of Fame
The Class of 2013 Delaware Maritime Hall of Fame is inducted Oct. 12 during a banquet at the Lewes Yacht Club. With six new members, the hall now contains 36 people whose names are enshrined on a monument near the Lightship Overfalls in Lewes' Canalfront Park. New members are (l-r) John L. “Jack” Gallagher of Lewes, professor emeritus at University of Delaware's College of Earth, Ocean and Environment; Suzanne Thurman of Milton, founder of the Marine Education, Research and Rehabilitation Institute; Marianne Mackenzie, wife of deceased Malcolm Mackenzie, who played instrumental roles in developing the Wilmington Riverfront and building the Kalmar Nyckel; Capt. Paul Ives of Lewes, retired river pilot who helped develop the single channel communications system for pilots and ships; and Hazel Brittingham of Lewes, historian and author. With the members are Ruby Schaeffer and Elaine Simmerman, cochairwomen of the event. Also inducted was Capt. Jacob W. Jones, a War of 1812 hero who spent his childhood in Lewes. All proceeds benefit the Overfalls Foundation, an all-volunteer organization committed to preserving one of America's last remaining lightships. Nominations for 2014 are being accepted; go to overfalls.org to download an application.