PLANT-BASED CHALLENGE, DINNER #3
The challenge continues—to create delicious, healthful, satisfying dinners for 2 following these simple guidelines for whole food plant-based cooking and eating:
- Include vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains every day
- Include greens everywhere possible (soups, salads, sauces, sandwiches, etc.)
- Include starches in every meal (potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc.)
- Minimize salt
- Avoid all added oil (no olive, coconut, canola, corn, peanut, etc.)
- Avoid all animal products (no meat, dairy, cheese, fish, poultry, etc.)
- Use nuts and seeds sparingly with the exception of chia and freshly ground flax seeds.
- Use fruit for dessert and as a whole food sweetener instead of sugar.
Dinner is served. Here is tonight’s menu:
- STUFFED PEPPER BOATS (Last night’s Tabbouleh worked perfectly for stuffing fresh raw red peppers. You could also use steamed peppers and make another whole grain veggie stuffing.)
- STEAMED FINGERLING POTATOES
- STEAMED BEET GREENS FROM DINNER #1
- CORN ON THE COB (Again? You bet! So sweet and tender this time of year.)
- FRUIT BOWL (PEACHES, BLUEBERRIES AND BANANAS)
No recipes needed for tonight’s dinner. We love leftovers and don’t hesitate to mix and match or present last night’s leftovers in a new form. A simple, no fuss meal is often the most enjoyable for everyone.