PLANT-BASED CHALLENGE, DINNER #4
Fire up the grill! The challenge moves out of the kitchen into the garden—to create a delicious, healthful, satisfying dinner for 2 following these simple guidelines for whole food plant-based cooking and eating:
- Include vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains every day
- Include greens everywhere possible (soups, salads, sauces, sandwiches, etc.)
- Include starches in every meal (potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc.)
- Minimize salt
- Avoid all added oil (no olive, coconut, canola, corn, peanut, etc.)
- Avoid all animal products (no meat, dairy, cheese, fish, poultry, etc.)
- Use nuts and seeds sparingly with the exception of chia and freshly ground flax seeds.
- Use fruit for dessert and as a whole food sweetener instead of sugar.
Dinner is served. Here is tonight’s menu:
- Grilled veggies
- Sweet pickles
- Whole grain bread
- For dessert, Sun Gold tomatoes from the kitchen garden, sweet as candy.
- Marinate (1 hr or more) portabellas, steamed and sliced fingerling potatoes, red and green peppers, zucchini and summer squash, steamed green beans and onion slices in a mixture of soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic and ginger—3 tbls each soy sauce and syrup and 1 tbls each minced garlic & ginger. Grill to desired doneness. Savor the flavors and save some for pizza topping tomorrow night.