PLANT-BASED CHALLENGE, DINNER #5
We continue the challenge with everyone’s favorite—PIZZA. Our goal is to create a delicious, healthful, satisfying dinner for 2, for the week, following these simple guidelines for whole food plant-based cooking and eating:
- Include vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains every day
- Include greens everywhere possible (soups, salads, sauces, sandwiches, etc.)
- Include starches in every meal (potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc.)
- Minimize salt
- Avoid all added oil (no olive, coconut, canola, corn, peanut, etc.)
- Avoid all animal products (no meat, dairy, cheese, fish, poultry, etc.)
- Use nuts and seeds sparingly with the exception of chia and freshly ground flax seeds.
- Use fruit for dessert and as a whole food sweetener instead of sugar.
Dinner is served. Here is tonight’s menu:
- GRILLED VEGGIE PIZZA ON FLAT BREAD
- TOSSED POTATO SALAD
- CORN ON THE COB (we’d have it every night, it’s so good!)
No recipes needed, but here are some tips to make life easier:
- For the sauce, we used POMI PIZZA SAUCE, delicious, oil-free and in a box in the tomato section of your local grocery store.
- We topped our pizza with left-over grilled veggies from last night’s dinner—portabella pieces, peppers, squash, onions, whatever you like. My grandchildren like to add beans and corn and olives.
- For crust, we use whole grain, oil-free flat bread.
- We popped the partially husked fresh sweet corn right in the oven for 10 minutes or so at 375 with the pizza.
- We chopped up some tomatoes, cukes, beets, pickles and onions with steamed fingerling potatoes and a red wine vinegar, spicy mustard and garlic dressing .
Couldn’t be easier or more delicious!