Here’s the challenge—create a week’s worth of delicious, healthful, satisfying dinners for 2 from the produce bought at the FARMERS MARKET this morning following these simple guidelines for whole food plant-based cooking and eating:
- Include vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains every day
- Include greens everywhere possible (soups, salads, sauces, sandwiches, etc.)
- Include starches in every meal (potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc.)
- Minimize salt
- Avoid all added oil (no olive, coconut, canola, corn, peanut, etc.)
- Avoid all animal products (no meat, dairy, cheese, fish, poultry, etc.)
- Use nuts and seeds sparingly with the exception of chia and freshly ground flax seeds.
- Use fruit for dessert and as a whole food sweetener instead of sugar.
I’ll be making a few additions from my kitchen garden (kale, tomatoes and basil) and from staples in the pantry (vinegar, lemon, garlic, onions, nuts, pasta, rice and lentils). Then I’ll post daily the resulting dinner for 2 with ingredients and recipes.
I hope you’ll join me in taking on the Plant-Based Challenge for a day, a week, a lifetime!
We’ve been eating this way for more than 3 years with extraordinary results—restored vitality, absence of joint pain, discontinuation of all medications, normalizing of weight, cholesterol and blood pressure. As T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. says, “If we eat this way, the health effects are amazing. There’s nothing in medicine that comes close to it.”