Two Hearts as One theme of Feb. 17 bridal showcase cake designer contestCapital Region Bridal Showcase comes to Dover
Cake designers have a chance to compete for cash and prizes Sunday, Feb. 17, in the Capital Region Bridal Showcase cake designer competition. The theme is Two Hearts as One, and $500 cash will be presented to the best overall winner and $200 for the most creative.
The contest is being sponsored by AmericInns of Kent County and Microtel of Dover. The contest will be limited to the first five entries with preference given to Kent County residents, chefs and businesses. It is open to professional cake designers, chefs and amateurs, and there is no cost to enter; however, each cake must include 200 small samples for judging purposes. Brides attending the showcase will vote to select the winners.
“Designer cakes have never been more popular,” said Charles Gray, director of sales for Kent County Tourism and coordinator of the bridal showcase. “With the multitude of shows such as 'Cake Boss,' there’s never been more attention paid to wedding cakes and wedding shower cakes, and this competition will give our local cake bakers the opportunity to demonstrate their skills and compete for cash.”
Contest rules include the following:
• Cake base tier will consist of a 9-inch diameter round, maximum layers totaling no more than 6 inches
• Cake base tier may contain internal supporting dowels and/or posts. Boxes or other stabilizing structures are not permitted within, around or under the base tier (with the exception of the cake display board)
• Cake base shall be constructed of baked cake ingredients only (no cake dummies or Styrofoam are permitted)
• Cake top design may not measure more than 15 inches in height from the top of the base cake tier used
• The design may incorporate the cake base tier. Design may not exceed a total of 11 inches in diameter (cake board and design elements included)
• Cake design may be no more than 21 inches in height total, including cake display board, base tier, cake top and all other design elements
• Design may not include lighting or non-edible ingredients, other than internal stabilizing dowels and/or posts;
• Internal support structure must be recognized on an 8.5-by-11 profile sketch to be clearly displayed at contest
• Two hundred individualized cake samples must be included with the entry for judging purposes.
The Capital Region Bridal Showcase will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 17, at the Hilton Garden Inn, 1706 N. DuPont Highway in Dover. Local wedding experts, strolling fashion shows and door prizes will round out the day’s activities. The official Bridal Showcase Guide, sponsored by the Delaware State News, will feature a section about the contest.
Information about vendor space or admission is available online at www.delawarecapitalregionbridalshowcase.com or by calling Charles Gray at Kent County Tourism, 302-734-8309.